Healthy whole grains meet sourdough discard and subtly sweet honey for a comforting einkorn sourdough cornbread that you’ll want to eat with all your favorite soups and chili.
My mother-in-law has a recipe for cornbread that is so moist and sweet that we all refer to it as “cornbread cake”. So, when I decided to make my own recipe for cornbread that utilizes both Einkorn whole grain wheat and sourdough discard, I didn’t think I could come up with something that would satisfy us spoiled cornbread eaters. Luckily, I was wrong! You’ll love this Einkorn Sourdough Cornbread!
Watch Video: Einkorn Sourdough Cornbread | The Perfect Comfort Food
Why Einkorn Flour?
Einkorn wheat has been around for hundreds of thousands of years. It is the only wheat that has never been hybridized, which means it is still in its original form. This makes Einkorn easier to digest, and many people have found that even if they have gluten sensitivities they may be able to eat Einkorn wheat. It is full of vitamins, minerals and protein that modern day wheat is lacking. I feel so much better feeding my family bread and other baked goods made with Einkorn. A wonderful bonus to baking with Einkorn is that it’s not as dense as modern day whole wheat, so your baked goods will turn out lighter. Read here for 10 fast facts about Einkorn.
Where Can I Purchase Einkorn Flour?
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure here.
There are a few places I am familiar with that sell Einkorn wheat berries and Einkorn flour:
- Jovial Foods – This is my favorite place to buy Einkorn wheat berries because they have free shipping on orders over $25. This is important because wheat berries are heavy! They also sell Einkorn all-purpose flour, Einkorn whole wheat flour & Einkorn sprouted flour in case you don’t have a grain mill to grind your own wheat.
- Mockmill – I purchased my grain mill from this company. They sell Einkorn wheat berries and many other kinds of unmilled grains including rye, spelt, durum, and kamut.
- Amazon – Jovial Einkorn All-Purpose Flour, Jovial 100% Whole Wheat Einkorn Flour, Jovial Einkorn Wheat Berries
Tips for Making Einkorn Sourdough Cornbread
- If you can’t find grass fed butter locally, no worries! You can use Kerrygold grass fed butter which can be found at most grocery stores, or you can use regular butter.
- If you forget to take your eggs out of the fridge ahead of time, you can place them in warm (not hot) water for approximately 15 minutes. This aids in your cornbread rising.
- This recipe uses sourdough discard, which means you’re mostly using the discard for the flavor and health benefits but it doesn’t affect the rising of the cornbread.
- I enjoy the flavor the shredded cheddar cheese adds to the bread, but feel free to try different types of cheese or leave the cheese out if you prefer.
- You can bake this in a cast iron skillet. I would use an 8- or 10- inch pan.
How to Make Einkorn Sourdough Cornbread
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- One cup Einkorn whole grain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup honey
- 3 Tbsp softened grass-fed butter
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup sourdough discard
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients together with a spoon until well combined.
- Using a stand mixer or hand-held electric beaters, cream together honey and butter. Add eggs and mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and sourdough discard to the wet ingredients in the mixing bowl. Gently mix until a batter is formed.
- Finally, fold in the shredded cheese.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased 8-inch square baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the crust is light-brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
More Posts You May Like
Pumpkin Sourdough Muffins with Chocolate Chips
Einkorn Wheat Berries Bulk Storage for Your Pantry
Pumpkin Puree Substitute | When You Can’t Find Canned Pumpkin!
Farm to Table Meal Planning | Wholesome Meals from Healthy Ingredients
If you make this recipe and love it, I would love if you gave it 5 stars! Tag me on Instagram @littlehouseonlaurel with your delicious creation.
Emily - The Hippie and the Hunter says
That looks delicious! We use a lot of einkorn flour as well, but I’ve never tried cornbread! I think this is going to be on our table this weekend!
I’m glad to hear it! I hope you enjoyed it!
What’s not to love? Einkorn, sourdough, and corn! This recipe is a winner!!
Thank you, Anja! I agree!
This looks so cool! I hadn’t heard of einkonrn until recently and I love that it’s paired with corn and cornmeal. It seems so hearty!!
It is definitely hardy for those cold fall and winter days!
I have heard so many great things about Einkorn, but never actually tried it for myself! This is a simple recipe to follow, and looks great!
I hope you get a chance to try it out, Megan! It’s so good for you!